Wednesday 16 February 2011

Would you like to train as a portrait painter?

Bulldog Portrait Bursary - Searching for excellence in portrait painting

Go to www.therp.co.uk  - The Royal Society of Portrait Painters - for more information and to register.

Would you like to train as a portrait painter?
This bursary aims to develop the talent of an artist at an early stage in their career.

The bursary is worth £5,000, plus an extra donation of £2,500 from the de Laszlo Foundation.  The aim is to provide an opportunity for an artist, regardless of location, to be mentored by Members of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters.  Other benefits include access to facilities at the Heatherley School of Fine Art.

Bulldog Bursary 2011

Receiving day 13th May at 17 Carlton House Terrace London SW1Y 5BD
Handing in hours are 10am-5pm
Please deliver two painted or drawn portraits, clearly labelled with your contact details and 'Bulldog Bursary 2011', and accompanied by a completed form and payment of £6 per person. After review the  Society will compile a shortlist of applicants to be called to interview in June. Candidates will be required to attend with a portfolio and a supporting statement of how they would use the bursary.  The Bursary will run from September 2011 and the winner will be invited to exhibit at the 2012 annual exhibition.
Bulldog works need to be collected on Tues 17th May
The Bulldog Bursary
2010 Bulldog Bursary Winner - Clara Drummond
"I am extremely grateful to everyone involved in awarding The Bulldog Bursary. It has made it possible for me to spend the next year focusing on portraiture, this is an exciting prospect as portraits have always been my main passion. I believe that the Bulldog bursary will give me the chance to fully develop my language as a portrait painter as I will have the opportunity to paint consistently from life and to experiment in terms of scale, subject, composition and materials. Although I did not go to art school I did a diploma in drawing at The Prince’s Drawing School. I learnt a huge amount at the Drawing School and as a result of working regularly from life I made some real breakthroughs with my drawing. I now feel that I am ready to do something equivalent with portrait painting and I believe the Bulldog Bursary will make this possible. In particular I look forward to doing a series of portraits of friends and artists that I know and admire.
Last but least I was very happy to be awarded the bursary as my brother’s nickname is Bulldog Drummond!"
  
Clara - 2010 Bulldog Bursary Winner
2010 Bulldog Bursary Winner
Iris
  
2010 Bulldog Bursary Winner
Jaemi
  
2010 Bulldog Bursary Winner
Melanie
  
2010 Bulldog Bursary Winner
Poppy
  
2010 Bulldog Bursary Winner
Rose
  
2010 Bulldog Bursary Winner
TJ
  


Bulldog Bursary Winner 2009
Bulldog Bursary Winner 2009
David Caldwell

Bulldog Bursary Prize Winner 2009
Bulldog Bursary Winner 2009
David Caldwell


Past Winners 2009 - David Caldwell was born in Helensburgh on the West Coast of Scotland in 1977. He studied Drawing & Painting at the Glasgow School of Art, 1994-98, and went on to study at the Prince’s Drawing School, London, 2003-05.
He has had numerous solo shows including, “David Caldwell – Works from France”, Alliance Francaise, Glasgow;Bienviengut”, La Mairie Ancienne,  Collioure, France; “David Caldwell”, Mansfield Park Gallery, Glasgow; “David Caldwell – Still-life Paintings”, Tron Theatre, Glasgow.
He has shown in prestigious exhibitions such as, “The BP Portrait Award”, National Portrait Gallery; “the RGI Annual Exhibition”, The Mitchell Library, Glasgow; The Royal Society of Portrait Painters Annual Exhibition”, The Mall Galleries; and “ The RSA Annual Exhibition”, The Mound, Edinburgh; and has been involved in numerous group exhibitions in various galleries including Thomas Williams Fine Art, London; Piers Feetham Fine Art, London; Thompson’s Gallery, London; Roger Billcliffe Fine Art, Glasgow; and The Compass Gallery, Glasgow, to name but a few.
“The Bulldog Bursary will grant me precious time and space to focus solely on portraiture for a year. I intend to make bigger, more complex and ambitious portraits; attempting compositions that deal with the whole figure, or multiple figures, incorporating the surroundings. My aim is to make rigorous works ‘from life’, scrutinising the subject first-hand in an attempt to understand it and ultimately get to its essence. I am concerned with reconciling in one picture the complexities of how one sees. I want my work to suggest what it feels like to look and to be present - the space between the artist and sitter, and the individual energetic presence of the sitter.”

2008 - Daniel Shadbolt - "With this bursary I am able to slow down my processes of observation in the hope of making things more certain."

2007 - Joseph Galvin

No comments:

Post a Comment