Thursday 14 April 2011

Interview with Cathryn Kemp by South East Open Studios 2011.

Web Success is a real Kudos

http://www.seos-art.org

Artist Cathryn Kemp talks to SEOS about her work and gaining recognition for her work through a growing web-based presence.
What is your practice?

I am a visual artist. I have moved from large-scale abstract paintings to working more conceptually; making mainly textile-based installations. I work with whichever medium best conveys the concept of each piece. For example I recently mono-printed discarded lingerie/garments that had some emotional meaning to me in a piece about personal memoir, history and emotional landscaping entitled ‘Inside Out’. I am currently working on costumes for an art film. I have deconstructed and reconstructed my vintage wedding dress and stitched poetry into it, which forms the first of six dresses. I see these pieces as extensions of, and developments from, my abstract painting. I am also a writer and this informs my work more and more.

What is your training and back ground?

I studied at Central St Martins School of Art, did my BA(Hons) Fine Art at Wolverhampton as the course was incredibly flexible and allowed for all areas of study within the Fine Art structure, then completed my MA Fine Art at Winchester School of Art in the Barcelona Studios. I also trained and worked as an author/ journalist, which is now playing an increasingly multi-dimensional role within my work, exploring literary and visual narratives.

How long have you been participating in Open Studios? What got you involved and why?
I was lucky enough to take part in SEOS 2010 and I am now an Associate Artist for 2011. I got involved after spending a couple of years being a visitor to other studios. I realised the dialogue which seemed to spring up between visitor and artist could be an interesting way to develop my art practice. It’s not often the artist gets to engage with the art-loving public. There’s rarely time at private views I find and it’s a great way to widen an artists’ appeal.

What has been your experience of SEOS?

The engagement with members of the public was hugely beneficial, the feedback was generally interesting and thoughtful and has informed my work in the months since. My work was enriched by the experience and of course the sales were nice as well!

For me, it was primarily an opportunity to develop contacts and engage with other artists. Through the Open Studios I found a film director for the art film I’m making plus cameraman, runners and lots of support and encouragement. All from having a chat in the studio!

You are not participating this year, rather opting to retain our Associate membership (formerly web only membership) what are your reasons?
I would love to have participated this year but I am too busy with exhibitions and other projects. I am curating a show in Margate alongside Pushing Print in October which is very exciting plus I am making the film and showing work in Parallax Art Fair, alongside shows at Ashdown Gallery, Saffron Gallery and I’m running workshops so there just wasn’t space this year!

You have a strong website of your own, why is having a web presence important to you?
My website, www.cathrynkemp.com is really the cherry on the social marketing cake for me. It brings together all my interests and to supplement it I am increasingly using my blog atelier-cathryn.blogspot.com as a ‘newsreel’ showing what’s going on with me on a day-to-day basis. I also tweet about my work on Twitter (@cathrynkemp) and put up things as they happen on Facebook (Cathryn Kemp). I employ all these devices to get my work out there. It’s as simple as that. The support, encouragement and feedback is incredible and also it helps get my work seen in a wider context.
Follow me on Twitter @cathrynkemp, join me on Facebook Cathryn Kemp.

You have also been featured on the Saatchi Online website, can you tell us a bit more about why you feature your work here and what has been the results and successes of this profile.
I was chosen as the Saatchi Gallery Online Critic’s Choice in 2010, which was very exciting! My work was picked by the critic Angela Marisol Roberts from my page on the Saatchi Gallery website www.saatchionline.com/profiles/index/id/115385. I decided to join the Saatchi website to raise my profile so I was thrilled when I learned I had been picked as Critic’s Choice! It was nice to have that accolade, and it was nice to feel that my work is on the right path. To read the article click here.

Is your work featured elsewhere online?
My work is featured on several websites – I have listed the main ones here:
www.saffrongallery.co.uk/artist.php?artist=Cathryn Kemp
www.artfacesussex.co.uk/Art/cathryn-kemp-saatchi-online-critic-s-choice-by-angela-mariol-roberts
www.soco.org.uk
www.galerie-talents.fr
www.cranbrookart.org.uk/KempC.html
www.saatchionline.com/profiles/index/id/115385
www.quattuordecim.co.uk, Follow Quattuordecim on Facebook
www.hastingsartsforum.co.uk/cathryn-kemp
http://atelier-cathryn.blogspot.com
None of the websites my work is listed on have any charge – they are mostly to do with projects, exhibitions or galleries I am involved with. The Saatchi Gallery site is free and entirely democratic. It’s probably the world’s biggest community of artists and well worth putting work onto.
Most blogs are free and super easy to set up, as are Twitter and Facebook.
I think it’s hard to determine where offers of work/galleries/sales really originate from so the rule of thumb is to place your work where it has integrity and value.

What is your advice to anyone thinking about building a website or online presence?

Do your research! There are lots of ways of setting up a website, from using a Wordpress blogsite disguised as a website, to buying website templates from someone like Mr Site to employing a web designer and doing it professionally. It really depends on what the artist is looking to get from a website. It may be a portal bringing together disparate elements, or a vehicle for selling and promoting work or simply to showcase work.
What are your top 10 arty websites/blogs or twitter feeds? And why?
blog.jerwoodvisualarts.org
www.axisweb.org
www.saatchionline.com
www.theartnewspaper.com
www.parkerharris.co.uk
www.turnercontemporary.org
www.friezeartfair.com
www.fabrica.org.uk/
www.artistsandmakers.com/
www.artandwriting.org/
On Twitter I follow lots ranging from Saatchi Online to Axis web, the Jerwood blog to The Art Newspaper. All of whom obviously have websites as well.

What is happening in your studio presently?

I’m currently moving into a new studio. Big upheaval but brilliant new space sharing with young, emerging artists, filmmakers and illustrators - very exciting.

I’m going through big changes with my work. I’m moving from large-scale abstract paintings to textile-based installation and photographic work. Becoming purely conceptual  is a shift I’ve been wanting within my work for a while. Very challenging and dynamic shifts in my practice, which is fantastic.

I’m also writing a memoir. I’ve been signed to a literary agent which is a major cause for celebration and heralds a new era of my work integrating and developing alongside writing and the visual devices.

What projects/other work are you working towards?

I’m currently working on an art film with incredible local talent. The film is based around T.S Eliot Prize Winner 2007 Alice Oswald’s Sea Poem. She has personally endorsed the project which features six wedding dresses constructed and stitched into the poetry. Exciting stuff.

Also I’m writing my memoir, showing a textile installation at the Parallax Art Fair, starting up print workshops, curating a conceptual print show in Margate as well as Pushing Print in October. And making work for it all hopefully!

How do you maintain a critical opinion of your work?

Keeping abreast of other artists’ critical practice is vital, as is honest and direct feedback from other artists.

How do you approach writing about your work? the artists statement.

Sitting down and writing a premis or conceit about work is a hugely important practice. I find it helps me to focus and cut out any visual waffle. It’s hard to do but ultimately rewarding.

What inspires you?

An unbridled love of fabric and the written word. Very often I take lines from novels and poetry as a starting point for my work.

How do you keep yourself fresh and your skills updated?

Hopefully by talking and engaging with contemporary art and critical practice. And by dialogue with interesting and challenging artists.

Favourite historical artist? Caravaggio or Pollock.

Favourite living artist?
Lucy Brown and Tracey Emin are my favourites.


Do you work best on your own or in collaboration?
I think I work in different ways in either situation. Working alone I can be freer to explore around various concepts and ideas. Working in collaboration is as much an exercise in diplomacy and it brings a freshness and a focus to working which is also really interesting.

When and where can we see more of your work?

Coming up first is the Eastbourne Open Houses at Baslow Road Studio – each Sunday April 24-May15, 2011.  Untitled Art Fair, Chelsea, June 3-5, 2011, inclusive.  Parallax 1, La Galleria, Royal Opera Arcade, London, July 1-3, 2011.  Pushing Print Fringe, Marine Studio Gallery, Margate, Oct 7-Nov 6, 2011.  Ashdown Gallery, Jan 13-25, 2012. 
My work is currently on show at Saffron Gallery, Battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment