Monday 4 July 2011

MEET THE ARTIST - Danny Mooney

Never Ever by Danny Mooney

I am a British artist. I paint, draw and make objects, although often the division is not clear.
I love paint. I love the way it flows over surfaces, highlighting texture or concealing it. I add layer after layer of paint to my work until it feels right. Whether I'm painting on canvas, wood or found objects, my paintings are always chunky and textured. Although the nature of my paintings and sculptures change over the years, it is this, their physicality and texture that has always characterised them.

I am currently interested in Australian Aboriginal colours and patterns. I’m often asked why, as I’m neither Aboriginal nor have lived in Australia. But why not? As an artist I’m inspired by whatever I see, feel and hear. Currently I’m building layer upon layer of earthy colours and varnishes over a variety of surfaces to produce a richly textured three-dimensional object.

My sculptures are paintings that have broken free from the confines of the wall and are now free standing. All objects can be seen for what they are in physical terms, (colour, shape, or function). However they also contain a particle of the history of everyone that has ever used, owned or seen them. It is the juxtaposition of objects and layers of paint in my paintings and sculptures that tell specific, personal three-dimensional stories.

Recently, a few of my assemblages have needed little or no extra painting. The found and recycled objects have a rich surface that tells its own story. Perhaps this will be a new direction.

When I'm out and about I make 30 second drawings of people. Sometimes these drawings can no longer stay contained in my sketchbook. The result is a 3 dimensional figurative wire scribble, looking as if the drawing has jumped off the page.

My art has always told the stories that I'm too shy to tell out loud. I listen to music a lot, and always when I paint. The music becomes woven into the image, with lyrics, song titles, and the occasional quote lending their name to the artwork.

Other people can tell their own stories with my paintings and sculptures. They are not interpreting the work in the wrong way. Their memories and associations with the objects, patterns and colours that I use are just as valid as mine, and just as individual.

My work is represented in private collections in the UK, America, Switzerland, Japan and China.

POSTED BY: Pure Arts Group  4.7.11

No comments:

Post a Comment